Generally, members can only disenroll during a valid election period (i.e. Annual Election Period: Oct. 15—Dec. 7). You must continue to use health plan services until your disenrollment is effective. There are two types of disenrollment—voluntary and involuntary.
You may disenroll from a BCBSAZ plan only at certain times of the year, or under the circumstances listed below, by doing one of the following:
Send a written request to BCBSAZ:
13985 W. Grand Ave., Ste. 200
Surprise, AZ 85374
Or Call 24 hours a day, seven days a week: 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
TTY hearing impaired users should call 1-877-486-2048
Voluntarily Ending Your Membership
If you disenroll by calling 1-800-Medicare or switching to another Medicare organization, you do not need to submit a written notification to BCBSAZ; your membership will end automatically once we receive the notification from Medicare and we will notify you of your disenrollment effective date in writing.
Involuntarily Ending Your Membership
Involuntary disenrollment means that BCBSAZ can disenroll you from the plan if the following situations occur:
- If you no longer meet the requirements eligible to remain a member of BCBSAZ.
- If you engage in disruptive behavior, to the extent that your continued enrollment seriously impairs BCBSAZ’s ability to arrange or provide medical care for you or for others who are members of our Plan.
- If you provide fraudulent information on an enrollment request or if you permit abuse of an enrollment card by letting someone else use your medical ID card. If you are disenrolled for this reason, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) may refer your case to the Inspector General for additional investigation.
- Failure to pay late enrollment penalty.
- Failure to pay plan premium.
Information About Medigap Rights
If you have questions about Medigap or Medigap rights in Arizona, you should contact the Arizona State Health Insurance Program at 602-542-4446 or 1-800-432-4040 (statewide hotline to leave a message). TTY users call 711. You can also call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) for more information. TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
Please Note These Important Points
You have the right to file a complaint with Medicare if we end your membership in our Plan. Please contact them at the information above or visit their website.